Friday, April 28, 2017

Me & Earl & the Dying Girl by Jesse Andrews

Synopsis

Title: Me & Earl & the Dying Girl
Author: Jesse Andrews
Genre: Mature Young Adult/New Adult/Fiction
My Rating: 1/5
Add To: Goodreads



Greg Gaines is the last master of high school espionage, able to disappear at will into any social environment. He has only one friend, Earl, and together they spend their time making movies, their own incomprehensible versions of Coppola and Herzog cult classics.
Until Greg’s mother forces him to rekindle his childhood friendship with Rachel.
Rachel has been diagnosed with leukemia—-cue extreme adolescent awkwardness—-but a parental mandate has been issued and must be obeyed. When Rachel stops treatment, Greg and Earl decide the thing to do is to make a film for her, which turns into the Worst Film Ever Made and becomes a turning point in each of their lives.
And all at once Greg must abandon invisibility and stand in the spotlight.


My Thoughts
★ Star

"In fact, high school is where we are first introduced to the basic question of life: How is it possible to exist in a place that sucks so bad?"

That is probably the only text in this book that I actually liked and agreed with. The rest of this book is complete and utter trash. 

Me and Earl and the Dying Girl is a perfect example of how NOT to write. I honestly have no idea how this book managed to make it to the best seller list. I also stand by the fact this should not be labeled as "Young Adult". It should be Adult, even New Adult. I'll even go as far as saying MATURE YA (which is really pretty much New Adult, but hopefully you get my point) 

the main character in this book is just a disgusting slime ball. And trust me when I say Earl TOPS disgusting slime ball. He is the type that really makes you wonder how he has friends at all unless he has a gun to their head saying "we are gonna be friends!" Which.... I actually would not put passed him to do. 

I admit part of me wanted to feel bad for Earl. I really did. I mean, you have a deadbeat mom and dad. Your house is falling apart covered in dog poop, vomit, dirty clothes.... The works of any hoodrat. But then I thought, well, I can't feel bad because there are plenty of people in that same situation and still manage to make straight A's, clean the poop and vomit. Ya know. the HUMANE thing to do. And of course we can't exactly feel bad for him when 1) he is a drug dealer and 2) the fact for 2 pages plus more scattered through this book he continuously says degrading things such as "You gonna eat her pussy?" "You better eat dat pussy." "Ew bro ain't nobody trying to hear vagina! that's nasty!" among much more trash along those lines.  
Earl turns my stomach. I'm not even kidding. Every time he was brought up, I just wanted to puke.
Do I really need to bring up the 13 year old "TRU NIGGA" neck tattooed, drug dealing, drop out, brother that knocked up some chick? Or is that pretty self explanatory?

Can you believe I hated this book so bad, I literally can not remember the main characters name? Oh well, don't really care. he really is no better. He is crude and makes my skin crawl. He reminds me of one of those creepers that just stand there wide eyed watching your every move throwing out the vibe "I'm going to watch you poop" or something. Ugh! 

I noticed a lot of times he went on and on about all these groups that hate each other and the trick to surviving high school is to be in with all of them without them knowing...and he thought he was "all that" because he managed to do that..... I really wonder if it ever crossed his mind that he was THAT much of a loser that he isn't in with ANY group, that they just tiny nod at him in hopes that he won't bother them because really no one likes him. Like even the "gothy dorks" and losers want nothing to do with him. Hmmmmmm..... Would make perfect sense if you ask me. and I hated how he guilt tripped that girl into talking to him. He lied through his dang teeth and made her feel bad. Words really don't cover how low that is and how much it pissed me off. 

I have never hated a main character so much in my life and that is saying a lot. Than again, I don't think I have ever hated a book as much as I have this one. Even the parents made me roll my eyes. They are so freaking oblivious to what is going on. 


This book was just terrible. The constant change between novel to screen play made me want to scream. The narration was cringe-worthy. The whole "this book is so stupid, why are you still reading" really made me ask myself why the hell I was. But people kept telling me it gets better, it gets better. eerrrrr.....no. No it didn't. Anywho, back to the narration the whole "I should punch myself in the eyeball/I punched myself in the eyeball/you should punch yourself in the eyeball for reading this" on and on and on and on... like really dude? What the hell is the point of saying that? It's stupid and pointless.  

I would never in my life recommend this book. There are much better books out there. This is not one of them.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top