Wednesday, June 30, 2021

{Review} 山河令 (Word of Honor)

Synopsis|줄거리
Original Title: 山河令
Also Known As: Word of Honor
Director Cheng Zhichao, Ma Huaqian, Li Hongyu
Distributor: Youku
Released: Feburary 22, 2021
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/Costume/Action
Language: Mandarin
Country: China
My Rating: 9/10
Add To: VIKI | Netflix
Zhou Zi Shu, the disillusioned leader of a royal praetorian secret service, takes drastic measures to leave his former life behind and wanders the pugilist world. He unexpectedly gets involved in a conspiracy after he steps in to save a young boy. He also meets the mysterious Wen Ke Xing, who is on a quest to avenge his parents’ deaths. They become bosom friends through a series of adventures involving a legendary treasure that is rumored to give its owner ultimate power over the pugilist world.
天窗”首领周子舒(张哲瀚饰)为求自由,不惜以生命为代价退出“天”窗组织。命不久矣之际的周子舒遇上一心灭世想要报仇的鬼谷谷主温客行(龚俊饰),两人因卷入江湖纷争相识相知,最终成为彼此救赎的知己。一场阴谋,两个知己,五块宝藏拼图,廿载恩怨,千百年的江湖梦让两人的命运紧紧联系在一起。
~~ Adapted from the novel "Faraway Wanderers" (天涯客) by Priest.
Review|리뷰
★★★★★★★★★ Stars
So this is one of the rare shows that I actually finished and as soon as it was over, I started to rewatch it.
There is so much to say about this show yet I don't think there are enough words on this planet to cover all my feels!!!

I still have a lot of mixed feelings about this show. Not because it was bad, but maybe because of the pace? I know there was a need to build the tension but honestly, it kinda killed a lot of the feeling for me. Which is odd for me to say, I know. Mostly because I loved the hell out of this show.
When I first started it, I won't lie. I was asking myself more than a few times, "what the hell am I doing here? What am I watching? *WHY* am I watching it?!" only to very quickly be sucked into a weird black hole where I cancel every plan I ever made and stayed in front of the screen binge watching it. Lol

Gah I loved the actors in this show. I feel like I can't unsee them as their characters ever again. Lol

I think the main thing I didn't like was honestly the ending. It felt rushed all of a sudden and didn't make much sense. after I finished it the first time, I read other reviews and comments and I kinda see why they had to do that -- but I also don't. Like you built this whole show up for this moment and with the last few episodes it was kinda bullshit. I said what I said.

I wanted more from the ending and I know if I read the book, I'll see the *real* ending, but I feel like fans and even the actors were kinda ripped off and left with a lot more questions.

I have such a love hate relationship with Gu Xiang. She was super adorable but I completely hated how she treated Cheng Ling and Wei Ning. They were both these really sweet and amazing guys and she was a bitch to them. While she was "sassy" with a lot of others, she really was a straight up bitch to them most of the time and I never understood it. Okay, yeah, she grew up not around "people"; but she doesn't treat KeXing or Xu like that. So I really don't get it.

Also have a love hate relationship with Scorpion King... but I feel more bad for him than anything else, given his back story. I feel like he really could have been a great good guy had he not wanted his father's approval so much. How that man treated him was all kinds of fucked up.
There were so many characters that even now I couldn't even tell you how I felt about them but I will say that I demand a spinoff or a bonus episode showing us ChengLing's story about growing up. They really had us stressing and worried about this kid only for them to end it the way they did. Like hold up. Slow down. WHAT?! lol
What do I do with my life now though? O_O ....*yeets myself over to watch the side story*

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top