Monday, May 24, 2021

{Review} 陈情令 (The Untamed)

Synopsis|줄거리
Original Title: 陈情令
Also Known As: The Untamed
Director Steve Cheng/Chan Ka Lam
Distributor: Tencent Video
Released: June 27, 2019
Genre: Action/Fantasy/Historical
Language: Mandarin
Country: China
My Rating: 10/10
Add To: Netflix | WeTV
Wei Wu Xian and Lan Wang Ji, two talented disciples of respectable clans, meet during cultivation training and accidentally discover a secret carefully hidden for many years. Taking on the legacy of their ancestors, they decide to rid the world of the ominous threat, but in a dramatic turn of events, Wei Wu Xian dies. Sixteen years later, Wei Wu Xian is brought back to life through a self-sacrificing ritual. He conceals himself behind a mask and assumes the identity of his summoner. Soon Wei Wu Xian reunites with Lan Wang Ji, and the pair starts working together to solve the mysteries of the present and unravel the truth behind the events of the past.
十六年前,天下五分,姑苏蓝氏,云梦江氏,清河聂氏,岐山温氏,兰陵金氏共治天下。温氏一家独大,其余四家均受其苦。众家青年中,江氏故人之子魏嬰性格开朗,和以雅正闻名的姑苏蓝氏弟子蓝湛相识并引为知己。一次偶然的机会,二人发现了蓝氏一直以来守护的秘密,二人继承遗志,为苍生消除隐患。但没想到一切的幕后黑手正是温氏家主温若寒。众家不堪其辱,合力讨伐温氏。温氏覆灭后,魏嬰却为保护温氏无辜之人不惜与众家对立,最终被奸人所害酿成大祸,误害师姐江厌离,自己也落下不夜天悬崖,屍骨無存。十六年后,消失已久的魏嬰出现在莫家庄,偶遇故人蓝湛。莫家庄一桩桩诡异的凶案显得扑朔迷离。随着真相一步步揭开,身处幕后的金光瑶渐渐难以隐藏。最后金光瑶身死,蓝湛承担起了匡扶天下的使命,而魏嬰不忘初心,潇洒世间,最终与藍湛团聚。
~~ Adapted from the novel "Grandmaster of Demonic Cultivation" (魔道祖师) by Mo Xiang Tong Xiu (墨香铜臭).
Review|리뷰
★★★★★★★★★★ Stars
Oh... Oh this is actually happening. You're here too?! I don't think a person on this planet hasn't heard or seen something about this show. Whether you know it or not... Well... here goes nothing.

I wasn't ready!!!! I WASN'T FUCKING READY!!!! "Oh you came out the gate with profanity...." You're damn right I did!! What? .... What.....?!?! WHHHHHAAAATTTTTT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE NOW?!?!?! How can you.... I just.... *deep breath*

Okay let's start from the beginning.... I, (LIKE MANY OTHERS!!!!) saw this show and our first words were "There is no way this show is 50 episodes good
Bro... (I call everyone this, chill) ------ I hate it here. The first 3 to 4 episodes, I had to get my roommate to take the remote from me because it was awful. I'm sorry. I spent roughly a month and a half trying to make it but always cut it off from episode 1 or 2. But, with the promise of MULTIPLE PEOPLE, "it gets soooo much better!!" These bitches.... knew my life was going to change looooong before I did. Because once I got past the cringe parts of the first few episodes, I wanted to fist fight time and sleep. I didn't want to stop. There are soooo many people who I relate to and they relate to me when we all agree this seems to be how everyone starts out with this show. "There's no way this can be 50 episodes good".... by episode 5, without even knowing the rest of the show we all say "well never mind" cuz it proved up HELLA wrong! 

"I lost 50 pounds using Jenny Craig"
Biiiiiiitch I gained 200 pounds stress eating watching The Untamed and it was worth every moment. Lol 

Okay that was dramatic but I swear if you see this show or have seen it, you know EXACTLY what I'm talking about. 

Y'all, this isn't even my kind of show. If you've known me long enough, I do NOT like historical dramas, movies, books, etc. Especially fantasy ones. They just... were never my thing. I could never get into them and they annoyed me because they all felt like cardboard cutouts. Always the same.
The Untamed called me by my full name and said "BET"

While it starts off extremely confusing, it does make sense later. It's the one thing I couldn't get passed and why other's needed to tell me to hang in there. I hate slow starts, I hate cringe, and I being confused more than any thing and how it starts off was all of those, so you can't blame me for shutting it off so many times.
Can we just talk about Jiang Cheng (Jiang Wanyin) for a second though? This show is not short on villains at all. Every episode is a hell of a ride but this fucker... From episode 1 we see the kind of person he is. Even with all the bad guys, I still think I hate him the most. Yep Yep Yep -_-

Now can we talk about the loves of my life now? Because I can talk ALL DAY on these men!! They are *chef's kiss* THE FUCKING LOYALTY!!!! 
If you don't love me like Lan Zhan loves Wei Wuxian, you don't love me at all. I want someone who looks at me like Lan Zhan looks at Wei Wuxian.
I said what I said and I'll say it again, WITH MY WHOLE CHEST!! While I know this story is *their* story, I really feel like the actors made it more powerful. I feel like if they had set anyone else in these characters, it wouldn't be nearly as powerful as it is with Sean Xiao and Wang Yi Bo. I won't apologize for feeling this way either. Their chemistry MADE this show what it is. No one can take their places. Lol I will scream this from the rooftops and can go on and on about them and how much Lan Zhan did for Wuxian (can't tell me that man doesn't love TF outta him).
Moving on! 

Y'all... I'ma tell you my all time favorite characters.  Wen Ning (Paul Yu) and Ah Qing (Chen Zhuo Xuan) -- they were clearly sie characters but they fully stole the show. Their parts no matter how small, they dominated the show. 
I think I would actually fight someone for Wen Ning, and I'm not even kidding. The man is so adorable and pure. He just wanted to help. He didn't deserve all the bullshit he was put through. He didn't deserve to be left alone and on the outside all the time. Like, I get they were trying to "protect" him most of the time, but I personally would have kept him by me all the time and fought anyone that messed with him. Lol He is a soft badass marshmallow who should be protected at all costs. Lol

Now about A-Qing, her part was so freaking small but she stole the show hands down.
She was so damn precious!!! I wanted more screen time for her. Lol She was one of those rare characters that even though they were annoying af, you can't help but to love them to death. Chen Zhuo Xuan played her in such a way that years from now on your deathbed, I'm sure you'll remember her..... or maybe that's just me. But she will stick even harder after you find out her story. Bruh, I fucking cried. That's the one spoiler I will give. I fucking cried. 

Now there were many other characters I loved and disliked but I realize this is turning into it's own mini book and if you have stuck around this long, I thank you. If you haven't seen this -- please give it a shot. It really is amazing. Everything is amazing. The characters, actors, music, settings, just.  roguherguherouhbgeriuhbirluevhieruhguer UGHHHH I LOVE IT!!!! lol 
If you have seen this.... please fangirl with me. 

That being said though, fuck you Xue Yang!! I hate you! You psychotic dick! Even if you ARE hot...

Also before I go I want to talk about that ending. I can't NOT talk about it. Bruh... what the fuck happened in that temple? The "bad guy" can go fucking ROT somewhere, I don't give a damn about his history or anything when he tried the "sympathy" card (as he did through the whole show) -- he can eat shit. but at the very end the "WATCH OUT!!!" from that unexpected character... left me confused af. Was he not the coward everyone was? I loved him all through the show up till that point. Like... It totally left me mind blown and confused. It never gave us a clear answer either!!! So I'm just left looking at the screen like "holy shit, what just happened!?" and also left me wondering so much more. Like I feel like everything is a lie. Lol This is why I have trust issues!!! 

Also sick of seeing Lan Zhan and Wei Wuxia parting ways, gosh damn it, if they don't just sit the fuck down and raise that kid, I'ma scream my head off. 
 Now I'm emotional all over again. I really will wrap this up now. Lol I'm sorry this is so long. I just have a ton of feelings. I'm sobbing that this is actually over. I wish it could go on forever lol. Like I'm glad but I miss them already. I want to forget it all and watch it again.... but I'll just remember and watch it again and again.... and again.... and again. Lol

How did this show make YOU feel? Drop your reviews, I wanna see them!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top