Thursday, October 8, 2020

{Review} The Hotel Under the Sand by Kage Baker

Synopsis|줄거리
Title: The Hotel Under the Sand
Author: Kage Baker
Genre: MG/Fantasy/Adventure
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Emma loses everything she has in a fearsome storm and washes ashore in the sandy Dunes. Winston, a Bell Captain ghost, befriends her. A motley crew staffs the newly risen Wenlocke Hotel, newly arisen after a century: one-eyed cook and peg-leg pirate, and the imperious boy heir to the Wenlocke fortune. Emma soon learns that things are not always as lost as they seem, especially if you have a brave heart and good friends.
Review|리뷰
★★★ Stars
I received this book in return for a honest review.
Hotel Under the Sand was such a unique read that when I read the synopsis, I couldn't help but to be hooked instantly.

While it was a interesting read, I feel like it fell a little flat? I didn't feel much of a connection to any of the characters even though all of them had been through some trying and emotional times, I didn't really feel for them. I feel terrible saying that but I'm not even sure why other than maybe it's because the narrative seemed a little patchy and rushed? The book feel like it was missing a previous chapter from the start because instantly we are thrown into the story with the MC swimming for her life, but other than that- we aren't offered much. She is still a mystery in the end of the book because we have no idea what she even looks like (fully). Unless I missed that part?

I think the most loveable character in the book was the kitchen cook and the bellhop(?) mostly him though because he reminded me of P.O.'s character from Hotel Del Luna. Lol (Don't come for me. I can't help how my mind works)

I loved that this book was a quick read also, I didn't expect it to speed by as quickly as it did. I remember starting it and then not long after reaching the end and being like "Wow, that was fast!"

The storyline, though had problems, really was interesting. I just wish there was more explaining between everything and gave us more with the characters so we can develop a connection with them. It sucks when you reach the end of a story and haven't developed a connection. Lol I want to feel like I'm losing my best friend at the end and this one didn't really deliver that feeling. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top