Sunday, October 4, 2020

{Review} 도깨비 (Goblin)

Synopsis|줄거리
Original Title: 쓸쓸하고 찬란하신 – 도깨비
Also Known As: Goblin/Guardian: The Lonely and Great God
Director: Lee Eung-Bok
Distributor: tvN
Released: December 2, 2016
Genre: Romance/Fantasy/Drama
Language: Korean
Country: South Korea
My Rating: 10/10
Add To: Viki
Kim Shin (Gong Yoo), a decorated military general from the Goryeo Dynasty, is framed as a traitor and killed by the young king. Years after his death, he is cursed by the almighty to stay immortal forever and endure the pain of seeing his loved ones die as punishment for the kills he committed in the wars to protect his country. He becomes an immortal goblin, helping people with his powers and being a kind man in spite of his grieving past. The only way to put an end to his immortality is the Goblin's bride, whose aid in pulling out the sword will end his painful immortality. Ji Eun-Tak (Kim Go-eun) is a bubbly high school student who remains cheerful and hopeful despite her tragic life. She summons the Goblin by chance and their fates begin to entwine. The Goblin's nephew, Yoo Deok-Hwa (Yook Sung-jae), leases the Goblin's house to a Grim Reaper (Lee Dong-wook) and the two end up living under the same roof. Ji Eun-tak starts working a part-time job at a chicken store run by a charismatic young woman, Sunny (Yoo In-na). As the lives of Kim Shin, Grim Reaper, Ji Eun-Tak and Sunny interweave, a deeper story unfolds, as they are not just strangers who met by chance but people with deep-rooted relations.

불멸의 삶을 끝내기 위해 인간 신부가 필요한 도깨비, 그와 기묘한 동거를 시작한 기억상실증 저승사자. 그런 그들 앞에 '도깨비 신부'라 주장하는 '죽었어야 할 운명'의 소녀가 나타나며 벌어지는 신비로운 낭만 설화
Review|리뷰
★★★★★★★★★★ Stars
I wish more than anything I could continue to stare at this blank page and have this review write itself. Because listen to me when I say - I am really not okay right now. You know when I watch a show I tend to trade my life in, cuddle up in a cave and binge watch the hell out of whatever I'm watching, RIGHT? Yeah well, this show took a few days.
Don't @ me. Okay this show was tragically beautiful. I'm in ✨𝔭𝔞𝔦𝔫✨ but it's okay. It took me about three days to watch ever episode I believe? Not that I wanted to take that long but because the emotions. Goodness, the emotions. Whoever watches this all at once, I really want to know what meds you are on, because I need some. Hahaha


Okay not on to the actual review, I'm sorry this is so GIF heavy but I have troubles expressing my emotions with this one and hopefully the GIFs help. Lol. If I am totally honest, this has been sitting in my To Be Watched list for soooo long, I have no idea why I kept putting it off especially since Lee Dong-Wook plays in it (he makes me swoon and I will eventually watch EVERYTHING he is in) but after some time and my friends constantly telling me watch it, I broke down and started this emotional rollercoaster. (I hate you all now. You did this to me. I'm broken and traumatized. Lol Just kidding, I still love y'all. But I'm still traumatized! *gross sobbs* 


While it didn't grab my attention right off the bat, there was still something that kept me interested in the show and then once the Goblin and Reaper crossed paths, I was hooked. I love when shows can still manage to add humor in no matter how intense the scene is.

There is so much I want to talk about with this show but I don't want to give away spoilers but part of me also doesn't even care. I want to go nuts, okay! lol But I will try to control myself. I want to talk about the acting.. The ACTING. Holy shit I forgot I where I was half the time, Usually I only feel this way whenever I read a really good book but Goblin was like "lol bet. Watch what I can do." And of course when I had to shut it off, I wanted to but it back on instantly even though I couldn't. I think I nearly drove myself crazy with this. The acting was so freaking amazing which is INSANE to me because the cast list was SO FREAKING HUGE!! You know - you KNOWWWWW I hate when books and shows have way to many characters especially all at once and when they also put in pointless characters - It amazes me that even the side characters were so memorable. I thought I would be lost through this show but I ended up remembering every character (yay me! lol) they all stuck with me so hats off to all the people in this show because from huge parts to even passing characters (Yes, even the canadian ghost) stuck with me. I just wiufhwrliugrwieugreiugr *spazzes out* I love this show so freaking much. *gross sobbing* 

The storyline isn't what I'm usually used to. I'm not really a fantasy fan but there are rare times when I come across fantasy that just blows me away and Goblin definitely took number one place in this area. I'm so glad they are talking about making a second season to this, I really hope they do! Because that ending was kinda cruddy to me. Which is terrible for me to say because it was a really good and happy-ish ending.... Happy0-ish to me. Other's probably love the ending but I felt like it lacked. I really wanted them all to just all come back and be one big happy family. But what we were given, I guess we should just be lucky to have that. Even though it made me sob... and I mean my whole freaking body was rocking because of the sobs coming out of me. I can't remember the last time I cried that hard. 
I really hope more people get curious and end up watching this show (it's free on VIKI!) If you have seen it, or plan on it, please drop a comment and tell me your thoughts! I'd love to hear other's voice on this. 

Till then; be safe and healthy!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top