Tuesday, May 12, 2020

{Review} 손님 (The Piper)

Synopsis
Original Title: 손님
Also Known As: The Piper (English title) / Guest (literal title)
Director: Kim Gwang-Tae
Distributor: CJ Entertainment
Released: July 9, 2015
Genre: Drama/Fantasy/Horror
Language: Korean
Country: South Korea
My Rating: 10/10
Add To: Youtube | Prime

After the Korean War, Woo-Ryong (Ryoo Seung-Ryong) and his son Young-Nam (Goo Seung-Hyun) walk to Seoul. Woo-Ryong wants to get Young-Nam treated for tuberculosis. Along the way there, they find an obscured path on a mountainside road. Woo-Ryong decides to venture down the hidden path.
Soon, Woo-Ryong and Young-Nam come across a village. The village appears well-off and peaceful. The residents are led by a village leader (Lee Sung-Min). Woo-Ryong learns the village is an idyllic place to live, except the area is infested with rats. Woo-Ryong plays the pipe and appears to have certain extraordinary abilities. He offers to get rid of the rats and the village leader offers to pay him a hefty sum in return. Woo-Ryong also falls for a young female shaman (Chun Woo-Hee) in the village. While everything appears to be going well, Woo-Ryong's nightmare is about to begin.
My Thoughts
★★★★★★★★★★  Stars

Okay so really, everywhere I look this movie is labeled as "horror" so I included the tag "horror"... Even though I really didn't want to. Really I want to label this as "heart shattering-gross sobbing material".
I can already tell you that I wish this was a movie I could write a really long review to and hype it up.. But y'all... when I say this movie ripped my heart out, I mean I started literally gross sobbing and could not stop even when it was over. I see why people would say this is a horror movie, but to me... oh my gah to me there are no words. I still have no words which is probably why this will be the worst review I've ever written.

I really hope people read my review and decide to watch it though. Crying or not, it was a really amazing movie. Usually a cover and synopsis has to pull me in, especially the cover - This cover did little to pull me in. If anything when I saw it, I giggled and was like "what the hell is this?" but because it was in the "horror" category, I added it to my watch list.... where it has been sitting for over a month now. I am not happy about that. I wish I had watched it sooner.... As I always seem to feel when I delay on reading/watching anything for a while. Anyone else ever realize that? (Side note: If you have something sitting in your TBR/TBW list, pick it up NOW, because chances are, it's a gem. We sleep on gems for some reason!!)

The acting in this movie was really amazing and was so believable that I feel like if I see any of these people in other movies, I will probably hate them. I loved the piper and his son though. They were such angels and so pure. What happened to them was NOT fair. But that's like usual life isn't it? It sees the good and life is like "lol no. Kill it". It's really sad when you think about it.
Wow that was dark... but hell, this movie was dark.

The ending was so fucking amazing though. I laughed... because I am a terrible sadistic person I guess. But the very end-end (those that watch it know what I mean by this) made me kinda confused. Like... why didn't they attack them? and why would he do what he did? It kinda left me confused? I mean I get why. Grief makes you do insane things. So I get it yet I don't? I don't know. If anyone else has seen this movie let me know what you think about the ending.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top