Sunday, February 2, 2020

{Review} Gretel & Hansel

Synopsis

Title: Gretel & Hansel
Director: Oz Perkins
Released: January 31, 2020
Genre: Thriller/Fantasy
Language: English
My Rating: 8/10

When their mother descends into madness, siblings Gretel and Hansel must fend for themselves in the dark and unforgiving woods. Hungry and scared, they fortuitously stumble upon a bounty of food left outside an isolated home. Invited inside by the seemingly friendly owner, the children soon suspect that her generous but mysterious behavior is part of a sinister plan to do them harm.



My Thoughts
★★★★★★★★  Stars

As a horror fanatic who has a bit of addiction to old tales, I had a lot of high hopes for this movie... Which is where I apparently went wrong. The movie was great, don't get me wrong! It's still a movie that I would tell people they should really watch.

My thing is, it was so slow and stayed slow, I was actually fighting to stay awake through it. Also not going to lie, I was expecting at least a couple of jump scares, but nope. It was pretty mellow for a Thriller/Horror movie. Which I do give it props for that. Because I have never seen a movie like this so mellow and it leave me wanting to tell people they should watch it. Usually I'm like "What the actual hell was this? 0 stars." Also don't get me wrong, as soon as the credits popped up, I did actually throw my hands up and say "What the hell was that ending?!". Not to loud of course but the people behind me did chuckle a bit. (glad I made y'all laugh and not pissed off at me. Lol) Anyway. On about the actual movie

There is literally not much I can say about this movie because everything ties together so much that if you say even the smallest thing, you know what will happen and how it will turn out.

Here is the kicker for me though... I fucking LOVED the witch. Both old and young. I was expecting this nightmare ridden old lady who turns into such a demonic thing that it kept me awake at night, but nope. Never happened. What kept me awake with the little boy. Gosh daaaaaaamn I'm sorry y'all, but I could NOT stand that little fucker. I don't know if they meant for him to really be that annoying or if it's just me.... and a couple of other people I overheard talking. Lol They didn't like him either. It was the one character that was like "When will he shut the fuck up?" He was so freaking rude even when his sister would tell him to stop/hush, he would keep going. I wanted to pull my hair out, that's how annoying he was. Other than that the movie was pretty good.

Reason I gave it 8 out of 10 was because I kinda expected more from it. It left a lot of confusion for me. I'm not a fan of the kinda movies who purposely leave holes for you to fill in with what YOU think will/would happen. If I pay to see a movie, I kinda expect it to be 100% done, ya know. Lol. Like the ending, for real, what the hell did that mean? They set it up like there would be a second movie, which I kinda hope there is. I hope there is a second movie and it explains some stuff. But watch, not that people expect a second movie, they'll be like "lol nope".

So would I recommend this? Yes. Just don't go in with high hopes. And be prepared to think some things you'd never thought before... like... "I hope she eats this kid". LOL!!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top