Monday, April 15, 2019

{Review} Crossed Up by M L Rosynek

Synopsis
Title: Crossed Up
Author: M L Rosynek
Pages: 168
Published: October 2nd 2018
Publisher: FriesenPress
Genre: YA/Paranormal/Sports
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Basketball is a way of life for this Texas team, but they soon discover that they might be encountering much more than just a fast break. Magic, mayhem, an angry pirate, and elements from the past help unite two worlds. Despite impending danger, this group of boys manage to maintain an unbreakable bond which demonstrates what the true meaning of "team" really is. Loyalty, brotherhood and a surprise visit from one of the NBA's all-time greats become the backdrop for solving a century old mystery set along a hazy Galveston coast....

My Thoughts
★★★ Stars
I received this book in return for a honest review.
DNF: Pg 92

You know those kinds of books that you read about and the synopsis make you feel like you will actually die if you don't read the book ASAP? Crossed Up was like that for me. Now, I'm not big on sports but I love paranormal stuff and the south. So this was a win for me. I couldn't wait to dive in and see how she would combine all 3 of these into a story. I mean how often do you come across a sports story with a paranormal concept? Lol You don't.

While I DNF this story early on (I tried to finish it, I swear I did) - the story was actually really interesting! But I feel like it needs to be buffed out. For me there were just way to many characters between past and now and it made it hard to keep up with who was who. Also there wasn't really a time separator in the story? I mean I see some of the story took place in the past but eventually it seemed like it was all taking place in the same time era? So instead of reading and enjoying the story I kept sticking on "is it now? Is it past? Are these people possessed with the ghosts? What is the deal with the toilet?"

It made it quiet difficult to enjoy. I'm still trying to figure out where basketball comes in with all of this as well. When I was reading, I kept thinking "these are teenagers that still live with their parents" yet it was kinda written as if they were all grown - or had no parents. I don't know. It was all just a bit off for me?

I'm hoping to give this book another chance in the future, I'm just not sure when. .... I have so many questions.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top