Friday, January 4, 2019

{Review} Zom-B by Darren Shan

Synopsis
Title: Zom-B
Series: Zom-B #1
Author: Darren Shan
Pages: 217
Published: September 27th 2012
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Genre: YA/Horror/Nazi/Trash
My Rating: 1/5
Add To: Goodreads

Zom-B is a radical new series about a zombie apocalypse, told in the first person by one of its victims. The series combines classic Shan action with a fiendishly twisting plot and hard-hitting and thought-provoking moral questions dealing with racism, abuse of power and more. This is challenging material, which will captivate existing Shan fans and bring in many new ones. As Darren says, "It's a big, sprawling, vicious tale...a grisly piece of escapism, and a barbed look at the world in which we live. Each book in the series is short, fast-paced and bloody. A high body-count is guaranteed!"


My Thoughts:
★ Nazi Stars
FAIR WARNING: This book disgusted me to my core so when I say this is a NEGATIVE review, I mean so feelings were spared. 

What load of gosh damn monstrosity is this?

To be completely honest, I'm ashamed that this has been on my TBR list for so long. Even more ashamed I actually spent money on this. Damn my impulse to buy all things zombie! 
Can this even be labeled as a zombie read? Hmm... nope. Labeled as trash? Oh yeah.

Had my hopes set on a great zombie read but what I found was maybe 10 pages on zombie and the rest being nothing but an advocate for racism and abuse. 

I called it. On page 20, 9.22% in, I posted a update saying I would regret reading this and I did. Why did I keep reading? Sadly, because of trying to reach a challenge quota. Lol There was no way in hell I was going to stop reading this after I had already wasted so much time on it and not have it count. Screw that, buddy. Lol 

Now, if you are curious and want to read this book, let me give you some real good reasons NOT to. 

Pg 46: Someone punctured the tires on that teacher's car. Someone found out where he lived and threw a brick through his window. Someone stuck up pictures of him around the local area with his number and the message, "Ring for a good time!"
I'm not saying who that someone was, but after he came creeping up to B Smith in school one day and meekly said, "Sorry for what I said about your dad," he was left in peace.

Am I saying it's cool for what the teacher said? No. But considering this is a kid thinking she is big and bad, is no excuse for stalking someone to this point. It's complete psychopath actions there. 
Need more? Oh how about...

Pg: 72- I glared at the Muslim and shot him the finger. Dad laughed, clapped my back, took my for dinner and bought me the biggest hamburger I'd ever seen.
I guess you can call daddy-o a high functioning abuser as well as nazi. He can be shits and giggles one second and beat the hell out of you the next. But it's okay because daughter dearest will just make it all better by "acting" as she calls it. After all... Her "best fran" is black. So there is no way she can be "racist" 
-Part of me knows I should stop acting,[...] -I should tell Dad I don't share his views, that I'm not warped inside like he is, start standing up to him.

Says the girl who literally seeks out any and all those of color and attempts to beat the shit out of them. 

Oh and lets not forget the oh so easy "Get out of my room. Get out before I call my dad in here and tell him you tried to molest me."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME!?!?!? That is not something you fucking joke about. It is not something you talk about lightly. A Simple "leave my room" would have gone just fine. But no. You had to throw in that stupid shit. 

Ohhhh and lets not forget the Holocaust joke when they were looking at the exhibit
or her saying
"Yeah, Nancy stuck her nose in and told me I was being racist. "
"Were you?"
"No." I scowl. "I mean yeah, in a way I was, but nothing bad. I said something about his kind not being civilized."

Those are just a few. Flip it to a random page *cough*EVERY PAGE*cough* and you will see this shit. It's completely disgusting! So this is not a zombie novel in the least. If you want some nazi read with the word "zombie" tossed around, by all means, read this book.
But frankly, stabbing yourself in the eye repeatedly would be more fun than reading this. (Please don't do either; just find any other book except this one and read it) 

Th writing was horrid and about the same as nails on a chalkboard, the characters were all disgusting. none of them were likable or relatable. There was no inner growth. There was no "I'm gonna change". Nothing at all to make it worth reading. And it is completely disgusting how all the kids think they are untouchable and "badass". It's sickening. Want to see privileged little shits, just look at these characters. 

It's sad when a book that should be read within a few hours, takes DAYS to read because you have to keep putting it down otherwise you will literally rip it to shreds. 

If I could give this zero stars, this would be 0.
*Beat The Backlist: 1/10

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top