Sunday, January 13, 2019

{Review} The Assassin Game by Kirsty McKay

Synopsis
Title: The Assassin Game
Original Title: Killer Game
Author: Kirsty McKay
Pages: 325
Published: August 2nd 2016
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Genre: Young Adult/Mystery/Thriller
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Who will be left after lights out?
Tag, you’re it…
It’s 4:00 a.m. when they come for me. I am already awake, strung out on the fear that they will come, and the fear that they won’t. When I finally hear the click of the latch on the dormitory door, I have only a second to brace myself before—

At Cate's isolated boarding school, Killer is more than a game—it’s an elite secret society. Members must avoid being “Killed” during a series of thrilling pranks, and only the Game Master knows who the “Killer” is. When Cate’s finally invited to join the Assassins’ Guild, she know it’s her ticket to finally feeling like she belongs.
But when the game becomes all too real, the school threatens to shut it down. Cate will do anything to keep playing and save the Guild. But can she find the real assassin before she’s the next target? 


My Thoughts
★★★ Stars
I received this book in return for a honest review.

If I'm totally honest, this was a cover pick. Lol I saw the cover and just HAD to get this book. I never even read the back of the book until I started this "Beat the Backlist" challenge. 

So here it goes, I'm not big on mystery books. Just want to put that out there. They give me complete anxiety. But I must say, I am glad I was able to read this book. It had just the right amount of mystery so I didn't feel like I was trapped in a coffin. (yay) 

I did have a few issues with this book though, mostly how much the main character was a pain in the ass. There was nothing at all to like about her. There was no connection and I felt like any and every chance she got, she called whatever guy she was talking to, misogynistic/sexist. Even when they were telling her actual freaking facts! It was so annoying.
And I hate to say it but for someone in a "smart" school ... she didn't seem that smart. At one point she is locked in a garage with a car on, instead of turning the car off, she gets out of the car to open a door? She doesn't turn the car off... who does that? (please don't say "she's a kid" - she's a teenager and I think even a kid would know to turn a car off) 

I feel like this book lacked a lot of information. It would hint at a lot of things but never give a actual answer. 
But Ash, it's a MYSTERY. - you say.
Yeah, I know. But you can offer some answers. Like why her love interest is there. Why she old interest is still breathing air after assaulting her.... how that went down just makes my skin crawl. The fact she could just sit down and talk with him after . I don't know. I would think after something like that, you'd never want to be alone with the POS again. But that's just me, I guess. 

All in all, it had it's issues but it was a interesting read, can't deny that. I did NOT expect that person to be the "killer".  Though I do wish there were more kills. Lol Some of those were actually pretty bad ass. Lol  I wish there was more insight on the characters because some of them are really interesting but there just isn't *much* about them. I want more, dang it! lol

Backlist done: 2/10

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top