Sunday, December 30, 2018

{Review} Odd & True by Cat Winters

Synopsis

Title: Odd & True
Author: Cat Winters
Pages: 368
Published: September 12th 2017
Publisher: Amulet Books
Genre: Young Adult/Historical/Fantasy
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

Trudchen grew up hearing Odette’s stories of their monster-slaying mother and a magician’s curse. But now that Tru’s older, she’s starting to wonder if her older sister’s tales were just comforting lies, especially because there’s nothing fantastic about her own life—permanently disabled and in constant pain from childhood polio.
In 1909, after a two-year absence, Od reappears with a suitcase supposedly full of weapons and a promise to rescue Tru from the monsters on their way to attack her. But it’s Od who seems haunted by something. And when the sisters’ search for their mother leads them to a face-off with the Leeds Devil, a nightmarish beast that’s wreaking havoc in the Mid-Atlantic states, Tru discovers the peculiar possibility that she and her sister—despite their dark pasts and ordinary appearances—might, indeed, have magic after all. 



My Thoughts:
★★★★ Stars

WHAT WAS THAT?!?!?!

Okay so.. I have been obsessed with this book since I saw the cover (feels like forever ago). I know I have seen a lot of other Cat Winters books and have wanted to read them as well, but there was just something about Odd & True that I just HAD to read. 

Odd & True reminded me so much of Penny Dreadfull (I admit, I have only seen the first season though) it was almost uncanny but held it's own. 

There is so much I want to say about this book but I am scared to because I don't want to give to much away. But Omggggg!!! I loved this book but am also disappointed. I have so many questions and some things I don't understand. Especially the ending. That ending came out of no where and completely consumed me, leaving me questioning every single thing. EVER. Part of me wants to scream "HOW DARE YOU?!?!" Lol This book was a bubble of hope and the ending, Cat takes that bubble and *pop* there it goes. ByeBye. Lol 

Would I recommend this book? Gosh yes! Want would I tell the new readers? Prepare yourself.

In addition, I wish there was more to this book. I felt like there was still quiet a bit missing from the story. I'm thinking like "MSG" - feeling full but not really, if that makes sense.

I had a lot of issues with Od to be honest. I know she has been through a lot in her life but I feel like she was extremely selfish especially with Tru. I hated that she did the "It's going to happen this way or not at all" thing (Least that's how it felt). It annoyed me to no ends. I mean, eventually you find out (kinda) why she is that way - but I still feel like that is no reason for her to uproot Tru the way she did. She deserved the truth from the start. 

And as for the monster .... WHAT?! I mean really. All that and for it to end like that?! Are you kidding me?! I don't understand. 

Are there any or aren't there?!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top