Monday, January 22, 2018

{Review} The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin

Synopsis
Title: The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer
Series: Mara Dyer #1
Author: Michelle Hodkin
Pages: 452
Published: October 23rd 2012
Publisher: Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult/Paranormal/Romance
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Mara Dyer doesn’t think life can get any stranger than waking up in a hospital with no memory of how she got there.
It can.
She believes there must be more to the accident she can’t remember that killed her friends and left her mysteriously unharmed.
There is.
She doesn’t believe that after everything she’s been through, she can fall in love.
She’s wrong.


My Thoughts
★★★ Stars

Starting the book: I'm liking this.
Middle of the book:... Where is this going?
End of the book: what the hell was the plot?! 

I wanted to love this book. Everyone I know that has read it GUSHES over this book. I admit, I did too when I first started it.
I have a love/hate relationship with this book.

I really wasn't a fan of the sudden "insta-love" but Noah ended up growing on me. There were some times I thought he was a little to cocky, especially when they talked about Anna? Anne? Whatever her name was... Or any girl for that matter, wanting him. Then he just oozed douchery. *gag*

The one character I could actively stand and wish there was more of was Jamie. He was super adorable.
And I loved all the Harry Potter references. Lol that's what really drew me in and made me giggle.

The main issues I had with this book was honestly the lack of plot. It's pretty much:
Mara plays with Ouija board.
Mara kills with a single thought.
Mara finds insta-love.
Mara's brother goes missing
Insta-love can apparently heal with a single thought.
Insta-love can "see" things through others eyes.
Mara finds kidnapper. 
Pretty much the whole Paranormal vibe going on. Only to get to the end of the book and realize it's a over romance mystery. 
I'm not a fan of mysteries. 

Also, I can understand this is a series but by the end of book one, you'd at least want SOME questions s answered. You don't want to be left with MORE questions. It leaves the book off putting. Or at least the ending. 

I was so in love with this book and ready to give it 5 stars..... Until the final 30-40 pages when it kicked in there would be no answers and more questions. Now I really just want to give it one star but I'll settle for 3.

The ending was to much of a buzz kill. 

If I read book 2, I'll mainly be because a friend asked me to read it.

Over all Feelings:



2 comments :

  1. It's been a long time since I've read this but I remember thinking it was pretty good. I might have to reread and see what I think now. Cool review. I found your blog on goodreada, you've got a new follower :) Beth (www.skyrosereviews.co.uk)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished book two days ago but still haven't written a review (I know I need to!!) But my brain is still freaking out over lol.
      My brain is in a glitch!! Hahah it was so amazing!

      Following back ^_^ thank you for the follow :D

      Delete

Back to Top