Sunday, June 25, 2017

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Synopsis

Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Series: To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1
Author: Jenny Han
Genre: Young Adult/Romance/Contemporary
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

What if all the crushes you ever had found out how you felt about them… all at once?
Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean Song keeps her love letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They aren’t love letters that anyone else wrote for her; these are ones she’s written. One for every boy she’s ever loved—five in all. When she writes, she pours out her heart and soul and says all the things she would never say in real life, because her letters are for her eyes only. Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and suddenly, Lara Jean’s love life goes from imaginary to out of control.
My Thoughts
★★★ Star

A mix of Little Women, a bit of Fangirl and a bit of something else that I can't quiet put my finger on.

I have such mixed feelings about this book. I had heard so many awesome things about this book that I just knew I had to read it. I wanted to love it as much as my friends did, but sadly... I didn't.

Don't get me wrong, it is not a horrible book. It's just ... if the main character doesn't make you want to duct tape her mouth shut, then you have a very high annoyance tolerance. Lol I'm already not a fan of double names (but to each their own). Lara Jean just seemed extremely childish. Even her kid sister seemed more grown up that her. So starting off to mid-way through, I want not a fan of Laura. But most likely, she'll end up growing on you... like a fungus. 

Of other reviews I have read, tons of people hate Lara for "going after her sister's boyfriend" which makes zero sense considering that she liked him way before Margot started dating him, but whatever. 

A lot of the characters just out right pissed me off. Chris (shockingly) being the main one, she took a lot away from this book because any time she popped up, she just oozed "whore", which is sad especially since they are so young. When she did pop up though, it always left me wondering why she was there in the first place because it was like she was a stand-in or something just to keep the book going somehow. I dunno. 

The next is Peter and the only thing that goes through my head when I think about him is that song "I'm only gonna break - break ya - break your heart" or how ever it went. Lol I don't even remember who sang it, I just remember every radio station playing it every 2 songs till you thought your ears would bleed. 

I couldn't stand Margot. It was literally "MARCIA MARCIA MARCIA!!" but... Margot! Margot! Margot!


the whole story of this book was really interesting to be honest though it wasn't hard to figure out who sent the letters out... like.... as soon as it happened. Lol 
Also the constant "I'm Asian, I'm Asian, Asian this. Asian that." was overkill and a lot of times it was unnecessary. I can understand pride, but once your readers start rolling their eyes every time it is brought up, you're over pushing it. 

The story started off a bit slow and annoying (Mainly because Lara was so baby-ish and me constant "mommy" and "daddy" make you cringe and put the book down like "no. Just no" but once you get past that, it really sucks you in. Before you know it, you are done with the book ready to throw it across the room screaming "what kind of ending is that?!"
And I am serious... what kind of ending is that!? I need to know what happens next!

5 comments :

  1. Ghehe, read the next book to know what happens next! I kinda liked this book. It's a long while ago, I should re-read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lot of people are telling me to keep reading. Lol so I just might. If the library has them, I will try but I can't make any promises. XD

      -Ash

      Delete
    2. At least the characters aren't half as annoying in Did I Mention I Love You. Did you read that book? I threw it through the room after 100 pages, I couldn't take it anymore!

      Delete
  2. I read this book last summer and I agree with everything you said. I think it would have been a great story if the characters were less annoying. I just didn't like a single one of them and that made the book so tedious to read.
    Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. I am really hoping if I do read book two, it will get better. If not... *cringes* lol

      Delete

Back to Top