Thursday, June 15, 2017

Jane of Austin by Hillary Manton Lodge

Synopsis

Title: Jane of Austin: A Novel of Sweet Tea and Sensibility
Author: Hillary Manton Lodge
Genre: Adult/Romance/Contemporary
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads

Just a few years after their father’s business scandal shatters their lives, Jane and Celia Woodward find themselves forced out of their San Francisco tea shop. The last thing Jane wants is to leave their beloved shop on Valencia Street, but when Celia insists on a move to Austin, Texas, the sisters pack up their kid sister Margot and Jane’s tea plants, determined to start over yet again.
But life in Austin isn’t all sweet tea and breakfast tacos. Their unusual living situation is challenging and unspoken words begin to fester between Jane and Celia. When Jane meets and falls for up-and-coming musician Sean Willis, the chasm grows deeper.
While Sean seems to charm everyone in his path, one person is immune – retired Marine Captain Callum Beckett. Callum never meant to leave the military, but the twin losses of his father and his left leg have returned him to the place he least expected—Texas.
In this modern spin on the Austen classic, Sense and Sensibility, the Woodward sisters must contend with new ingredients in unfamiliar kitchens, a dash of heartbreak, and the fragile hope that maybe home isn't so far away. 

My Thoughts
★★★ Star

I admit, I have never read a Jane Austin book before. I have a few, but never read them because I am looking for something to give me a bit of a push into reading them. Jane of Austin started out promising and then a little less than half way though, flopped. It went from being unique to being just like every single other Contemporary book out there.  Girl in trouble. Guy saves girl. Enter guy two. Que up love triangles and insta-loves. So on and so on.

This book started out okay but then it just flopped in the worst way. The insta-loves were ridiculous. and it just dragged on and on and on about Texas. The constant non-stop Texas this and Texas that and I'm from Texas so I am better. Blah blah blah was overly annoying. I get everyone is like that because they are proud of where they come from but if they go on and on about How awesome they are because they are *insert state* - run. Run AWAY as fast as you can. Because they are anything but "good". Lol

I can't get over the insta-loves though. Just....are you freaking serious? I thought Jane was suppose to be this sensible adult. *snorts* No. Just no. She acts like a 14 year old.
Guy: I love you
Jane: *fluttery*
Guy: Marry me
It's been what? two weeks? if even that? Imagine the horrible example she is setting for her little sister. Not to mention she wants everything to be about her with zero respect for her older sister's thoughts. Her sister doesn't want to talk about something but Jane just goes on and on and on wanting to know WHAT happened and blah blah blah.

So yeah, there were some twists and turns, I suppose but nothing that was quiet enough to lift it out of it's flop.

And the fact that Jane does really get engaged literally 7 months after just meeting a guy makes my eyeballs hurt from rolling them so hard.


There were some good parts. I loved the fandom quotes. There was a bit of from the Hunger Games to some Lord of the Rings. So that was cute.

I liked this book. But it's not one I would automatically think of to recommend if someone were looking for a book. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top