Wednesday, May 31, 2017

{Review} Wicked Lovely (Wicked Lovely #1) by Melissa Marr

Synopsis
Title: Wicked Lovely
Series: Wicked Lovely #1
Author: Melissa Marr
Genre: Young Adult/Fae/Supernatural/Urban Fantasy
My Rating: 2/5
Add To: Goodreads


Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries.Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.

Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries.Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.

Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention.But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost — regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend, Seth; her life; everything.
Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.


My Thoughts
★★ Star
This book wasn't bad. But it wasn't good either. I wish I could leave it at that, but I can't. This book was a mess. Don't get me wrong, some parts of this book are really magical, so magical that it almost makes up for how messy it is. 

The story line seems interesting but I don't think it was delivered to it's full potential. I mean, how can a book be 328 pages and nothing,  nothing at all happen? The only words I think of to explain this book is boringly bland. It's sad when you are reading a book and not give one single care about any of the characters. 

I think the only character I actually liked was Seth. I just hate how he was portrayed. Every time he was talked about, the goth/emo/party animal-sex driven look was brought up, like it was suppose to be some major big deal. It was annoying and pissed me off. Yet, sadly, he was the only believable character worth anything. I really think he was the only reason I kept reading. To find out what would happen to him in the over-fae-populated town.

Ashlinn (or however you spell her real name, I can't bring myself to give a crap to remember) the magical cupcake, is probably the most boring vapid main character I have every laid my eyes on. There is literally nothing else to say here. Well, other than this whole book revolves around her like she is the sun. (Oh, look. A pun.) This chick is just unbelievable. laughingly unbelievable. 

Keenan ... oh boy. What a creep. I am curious how many other saw him as a homewrecker? Because I sure in hell did. Keenan isn't just a homewrecker. He's one of those crazy ones that will boil your rabbit, tie you to the bed and break your ankles. 

When you think he can't be anymore disgusting he
Ugh, and the whole "I am a king! bow down and suck my toes!" got old really fast. Much like Seth's often talked about goth-y-ness, Keenan's was always "king/royal/pansy-ass-me-me-me-love me-love me-You MUST love me". What a Man! Who wouldn't fall in love with him?! *that was sarcasm*

I want to talk about the story line but there isn't really much to talk about. It was mainly just a love triangle. Nonstop. Her running from Mr. LOVE ME! to Mr. GOTH BOI and Mr. LOVE ME crying on his knees because she ran away. 

Really, would can skip chapters at a time and still get the idea of what is going on. Because either way, the writing is so choppy, you are taking a chance of that happening. If you read this book without zoning out, then I give you props. I can't tell you how many times I zoned out, to realize I read 5 pages or so and the same exact thing was still happening just in the new place. 
Another thing I couldn't stand was the ever changing name of Donia. She has 3 names in this book and it was confusing because she is either Donia, Don, or Dawn. It irked me. Like please pick and name and stick with it. And I get this book is YA, but I doubt anyone's granny is that "chill" to just let their granddaughter to roam the city at all hours and say with a guy she never in her lift met. Granny was description was "old granny" but everything about her made her sound like she was a pushover 12-year-old. 


The ending was a complete let down. I expected this big war or fight to happen for it literally happen and end in one page. Like, really? Are you serious? what the what!


So yeah, I don't think I will be reading the next books in the series unless I am bored out of my mind.




*I would also like to add, the "rules" make me face-palm EVERY time I see them.
3) Don't stare at invisible faeries.
2) Don't speak to invisible faeries.
1) Don't ever attract their attention.
I can't help but to laugh and think "invisible" is unnecessary. Don't stare or speak to invisible faeries! ... but.... they are invisible. How can you do either if they are invisible? Lol Sorry, it's just weird to me. Haha. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top