Wednesday, March 1, 2017

At First Blush by Beth Ellyn Summer

Synopsis
Title: At First Blush
Author: Beth Ellyn Summer
Genre: Young Adult/Middle Grade/Romance
My Rating: 3/5




Who would have thought that a teenager could have a successful career creating makeup tutorial videos on YouTube? For Lacey Robbins, this dream has been her reality. An up-and-coming YouTuber, she has thousands of fans and can't wait for the day when her subscriber count reaches the one million mark. And when she is offered a high school internship at On Trend Magazine, she figures that this could be the make it or break it moment.
But sometimes your dream job isn't all that it seems. Her editor is only interested in promoting junk products, and her boss in the Hair and Makeup department introduces her to the larger world of makeup artistry, making her wonder if making tutorials online is all she is meant to do. To top it all off, when the magazine's feature subject , musician Tyler Lance, turns his broodingly handsome smile her way, falling for him could mean losing her fans, forcing her to make a decision: her YouTube life or her real life?





My Thoughts
★★★ Stars
I received this book via NG in return for an honest review.

Sorry, this book just wasn't my thing. I'll admit it keep me drawn in but it also constantly gave me migraines every time I read it... not to mention kept my anxiety shooting through the roof. I wanted to like this book. I really did. But I didn't.... So this review may not come out to nice. Fair warning. I would also like to throw in that in my opinion this book fits under middle grade than young adult...

I liked Lacey. She seemed like a pretty good kid. But I hated that she let people just walk all over her. I hated that literally everyone in this book put all THEIR problems on HER. None of them carried their own burden. Not even her parents. If anything, they pushed her to succeed just so they can bum off her like just like Tyler's parents did all of them. Even with her so called "best friend" they drift apart and lo and behold, it is aaaaaalllllll Lacey's fault. 

I freaking hated Tyler though. From start to finish it was all the same. He was literally Justin Bieber. There is nothing else to say about Tyler because if you know Bieber, you pretty much know Tyler. 

At First Blush was very predictable and the outcome was clear before 20% into the book. I think I finished it in pure hope that it would prove me wrong. I really thought she would end up having a mental break down, I am glad she didn't and I am even more glad that her character grew so much at the end. 
She found happiness again in what she loved doing best. So I guess that is all that matters, huh?
***
If anything from this book is on point, it is that the media has WAY to much say and influence in people's lives and especially kids. 

***
May come back and edit this later, this is still making me want to rip my hair out.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top