Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Coraline by Neil Gaiman

Synopsis

Coraline's often wondered what's behind the locked door in the drawing room. It reveals only a brick wall when she finally opens it, but when she tries again later, a passageway mysteriously appears. Coraline is surprised to find a flat decorated exactly like her own, but strangely different. And when she finds her "other" parents in this alternate world, they are much more interesting despite their creepy black button eyes. When they make it clear, however, that they want to make her theirs forever, Coraline begins a nightmarish game to rescue her real parents and three children imprisoned in a mirror. With only a bored-through stone and an aloof cat to help, Coraline confronts this harrowing task of escaping these monstrous creatures.
Gaiman has delivered a wonderfully chilling novel, subtle yet intense on many levels. The line between pleasant and horrible is often blurred until what's what becomes suddenly clear, and like Coraline, we resist leaving this strange world until we're hooked. Unnerving drawings also cast a dark shadow over the book's eerie atmosphere, which is only heightened by simple, hair-raising text. Coraline is otherworldly storytelling at its best.


My Thoughts
★★ Stars
I kept hearing how amazing this book was from everyone I know (who had read it.) and I am sad to say, I didn't like it. It was okay but... oh my gosh, I can't believe I am going to say this, but the movie was better.
I think the way the book was written just gave me a headache. Examples
"They made Coraline feel uncomfortable. Then Coraline dreamed a few commercials[...]"
"Coraline" and "she" was repeated so much... it made me want to scream.
I feel like this story was told in total monotone. I didn't see any excitement, everything was just flat to me.
I'm sorry, I just didn't enjoy this book. Even though the story was quite interesting, I just couldn't see what all the hype is about.

2 comments :

  1. I remember watching the movie as a kid and having nightmares for WEEKS. I still get the willy nillies every time I think about it. It's a shame about the words "Coraline" and "she" being repeated so very often. I'm sorry this book didn't live up to the hype for you. :( For my own safety of keeping my sleep, I think I'll pass on reading this book. :) Your review was honest and therefore, simply amazing.

    -Megan, Books of Fascination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yeah, I loved the movie when I was younger and still do to be honest. But this book just didn't cut it for me, I didn't even find it all that scary which is apparently shocking a lot of people. Haha. Oh well.
      Thank you for your comment. :)
      -Ash

      Delete

Back to Top