Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Braineater Jones by Stephen Kozeniewski

Synopsis
Braineater Jones wakes up face down in a swimming pool with no memory of his former life, how he died, or why he’s now a zombie. With a smart-aleck severed head as a partner, Jones descends into the undead ghetto to solve his own murder.
But Jones’s investigation is complicated by his crippling addiction to human flesh. Like all walking corpses, he discovers that only a stiff drink can soothe his cravings. Unfortunately, finding liquor during Prohibition is costly and dangerous. From his Mason jar, the cantankerous Old Man rules the only speakeasy in the city that caters to the postmortem crowd.
As the booze, blood, and clues coagulate, Jones gets closer to discovering the identity of his killer and the secrets behind the city’s stranglehold on liquid spirits. Death couldn’t stop him, but if the liquor dries up, the entire city will be plunged into an orgy of cannibalism.
Cracking this case is a tall order. Braineater Jones won’t get out alive, but if he plays his cards right, he might manage to salvage the last scraps of his humanity. 


My Thoughts
★★★★ I need a moment... Stars.
I'm really trying to figure out how to go about rating this book. 3 stars because it wasn't my thing, or 4 because even though it wasn't my thing, it was still a good book?
I'll go with 4.
So glad for the author's warning at the start of the book. 
Really. It makes you go "THANK YOU!" otherwise, you would have a hole in your wall from throwing the book so hard.
Now, personally, this book was NOT my thing. I kept sitting here going, "sooo....when are the actual zombies gonna step in? Where's the blood and guts?" Never happened, yet there were some things that might make you scrunch your face up, going "ew." *cough*the fetus*cough* That part really makes me want to cry. Every time Old man (even though he is a total jerk) came into the picture, it broke my heart. Broke my heart yet made me want to hurl at the same time because what I picture is just straight up gross and stomach turn-y.
The book was actually pretty good if you are into detective/mystery books really. Jones just happened to be a dead detective...  kinda. "Zombie" here IMO would be used very loosely because to me, he's not a zombie.. he is just undead. Plain and simple.
I give this 4 stars, detectives just aren't my thing, and the 30's talk just kept throwing me off (though thankfully about halfway through the author was like "You do know there is a glossary in the back right?" lol. But still. I think I can only handle 30's in movies. (Shocking, I know)
Anyway, if you like mysteries, or love old settings, I really do think this is up your alley.

4 comments :

  1. Thank you for taking the time to review my book, FSZ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read quite a couple of zombie books, and this one seemed a little...off from the usual books. It seems unique with the old-time mystery theme from the description, if not a bit weird lol. I'm kind of curious about this book now since your review has very interesting points. :) Great review!

    By the way, I tagged you in The Bedtime Book Tag! Here is my post:

    http://booksoffascination.blogspot.com/2015/06/bedtime-book-tag.html

    Thank you!

    -Megan, Books of Fascination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was deffenatly a different kind of zombie book IMO. Lol
      AWESOME! Thank you so much! EEEPPP! *tackle hugs*

      Delete

Back to Top