Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Divergent by Veronica Roth

Synopsis

In Beatrice Prior's dystopian Chicago world, society is divided into five factions, each dedicated to the cultivation of a particular virtue--Candor (the honest), Abnegation (the selfless), Dauntless (the brave), Amity (the peaceful), and Erudite (the intelligent). On an appointed day of every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is--she can't have both. So she makes a choice that surprises everyone, including herself.
During the highly competitive initiation that follows, Beatrice renames herself Tris and struggles alongside her fellow initiates to live out the choice they have made. Together they must undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, some with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them all, Tris must determine who her friends really are--and where, exactly, a romance with a sometimes fascinating, sometimes exasperating boy fits into the life she's chosen. But Tris also has a secret, one she's kept hidden from everyone because she's been warned it can mean death. And as she discovers unrest and growing conflict that threaten to unravel her seemingly perfect society, Tris also learns that her secret might help her save the ones she loves . . . or it might destroy her. 


My Thoughts
★★★★★+ Dauntless Stars.
Can we just step back a moment aaaand...

Whoa.
This was exhilarating!

One Choice
One Choice, decided your friends.
One Choice, defines your beliefs.
One Choice, determines your loyalties - Forever.
ONCE CHOICE CAN TRANSFORM YOU
 

*insight on why I even started it*
This book has honestly been on my bookshelf for a year now, and I always said I would get around to reading it. But I ended up buying the movie the day it came out and also said "I'm not watching it till I have read the book." So if you follow, I've had the movie almost a year as well. Apparently, no one is as patient as I am when it comes to this stuff. I can't tell you how many people have got tired of waiting and just spilled spoilers after spoilers. So I had to break down and finally read it.

I'm glad I did!

Now on to my review.
Divergent was amazing!! It was wonderfully written. Veronica Roth went into such great detail about everything in just the perfect amount, so she didn't put you to sleep with information overload. The settings, the characters..just EVERYTHING was excellent perfection.For me, this book made me feel like I was living everything and I was apart of it.. Though, not just apart of it, but like I belonged there. I can actually say, I feel Dauntless. (Then again, upon taking the quiz at the end, it said that Dauntless would be my faction. Haha)
There were a few times I had to put the book down and step back to calm down from the emotion overload...and then I had to stop myself from running all around the house fangirling. 
I know a lot of people say this book is just a Hunger Games rip off... I don't see it. Which truth be told, if one book is like another book, I am real fast to call it out. But I didn't see that in these books. I can see how people MIGHT compare the two by saying the government is ruling everything and a girl has to pretty much save the day.. But I still don't agree they are anything a like. Truth be told, if you love The Hunger GamesI would actually recommend Divergent to you.
I kid you not, I finished this book at 12am this morning and I wanted (so bad) to hop in the car to get the second book from the store. I can't wait till I get the second book and am able to read it. 
I'm sure I'll add more to this review later over time, but right now, I'm still stuck in the "Oh my freakin gah! That was amazing!!" mind frame.

Quotes
“Becoming fearless isn't the point. That's impossible. It's learning how to control your fear, and how to be free from it.” 

“We believe in ordinary acts of bravery, in the courage that drives one person to stand up for another.” 

“I am selfish. I am brave.” 

2 comments :

  1. Lol welcome to the Divergent fandom! LOVED your review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I actually feel stupid now for waiting so long to read it. Haha

      Delete

Back to Top