Tuesday, March 16, 2021

{Review} 恋空 (Sky of Love)

Synopsis|줄거리
Original Title: 恋空
Also Known As: Sky of Love/Koizora
Director: Natsuki Imai, Ayato Matsuda, Ayato Matsuda
Distributor: TBS
Released: August 2, 2008
Genre: Drama/Romance/Tear Jerker/True Story
Language: Japanese
Country: Japan
My Rating: 9/10
Add To: N/A
Mika Tahara (Elena Mizusawa) is an ordinary high school girl. One day, out of the blue, one of her classmates kisses her. His name is Hiroki Sakurai or Hiro (Koji Seto). Hiro stands out with his bleached hair and piercing. Apparently he is also dating someone right now. Mika is shocked and hurt that her first kiss had to happen this way. She desperately tries to forget about this kiss. Her friend tells her that she should find somebody else and suggests Tatsuya, another boy in the class. However, before she even realizes it, Mika is already in love.
~~Based on manga series "Koizora" by 美嘉 (Mika; based on her own experiences)
Review|리뷰
★★★★★★★★★ Stars
Y'all, I am honest to goodness NOT okay right now. I have sobbed myself into a complete frenzy .

When I first started this show, I thought it was your genuine original "slice of life" cute drama or whatever. I didn't look much into the show really because the cover pulled me in. I know, I need to stop picking things based on their covers. While I hated this show with a passion, I loved it too. I can't not love it. The story is so fucking beautiful it hurts. The only reason I hate it is because ... well.... if you've seen it, you know. If you haven't seen it ------have a box of tissues ready and make sure you have something to muffle your sobs.

Originally I didn't like Mika. I mean I did, but didn't. She was such a sweet character that you can't help to love her. She is kinda like that friend or sister you always want to protect because she is so pure. But.... there were times when I really got sick of her and wanted her to grow a freaking backbone. It really drove me nuts seeing her kicked around his Hiro's ex. Like gosh damn, throw a punch or something. But I give her props I guess, when the last shoe dropped, she fought back with words and proved to her no matter what she did, she would never get Hiro back. Straight facts.

Hiro on the other hand, I didn't like at first. Lol he really reminded me of the typical guy that people fall over themselves for because he is the "bad buy". I really thought he was going to be like in the other shows where he was just going to be a asshole non-stop and she was just going to love him. But that changed pretty fast and it kept me sus towards him. lol I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it really didn't. And can we just talk about how he always protected Mika? Like against EVERYONE. Didn't matter who you were, guy or female, you mess with Mika, you get your ass kicked. Lol I stan a protective man.

Spoilers ahoy, sorry!

When Mika told him she was pregnant, I honest to gah thought that when he left, he was gone. I didn't expect him to come back. When he did, my jaw literally dropped. Especially seeing how happy he was. I was like.... something ain't right, dudes would be running at this point. But him running out to buy that was so fucking cute. And he spent so long trying to get her parents approval. Just... ugh my heart. So when they lost the baby I just couldn't handle it. I cried my eyes out. I really wanted to see them grow up and raise the baby. THIS SHIT HURTED!!!

The storyline was so beautiful even when he broke up with her to protect her. I won't lie though I had really weird vibes from Yuu. I don't know if it was the persistent "get in my car. I have a car. I'll take you home. want a ride?" Like dude O_O she said no. Stop. Lol... I know in the long run, he meant well. And over time he did grow on me. I thought they would make a cute couple but I knew it just wasn't the same.

Can you imagine how rare Mika and Hiro's love is though? Honestly. They are they kind of love that, she will forever be in his family. Even if she were to marry someone else, she would still be loved and adored by Hiro's family. And whoever she married, will always be second. Even to her own family, Hiro would be before the new guy, because he made that much of a impact on everything. This kind of love is so rare, which is sad. Even more sadder: seems to ALWAYS end in tragedy.

I won't lie, I am SUPER confused about that ending. I know the two kids have to be her sisters, but the little girl clearly calls her mommy.... Was this in her head? Did she meet someone new and have a baby? Was she pregnant again before he passed away? I just have so many questions about this. But call me nuts, I want to believe it's Hiro's kid. Because ... everything the kids is wearing relates to Mika and Hiro. from the flower crown to the dolls she is holding, so it feels like they are implying? Or I'm just nuts. lol

So I want to say, if you're looking for a show to watch to pass the time, it ain't this one, chief. This is the kind of show when you are already broken and you want to sob your heart out completely. This is not the kind of show to take lightly. Lol This is level of A Walk to Remember and The Fault In Our Stars level of heartshatter.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top