Thursday, December 31, 2020

{Review} 화유기 (A Korean Odyssey)

Synopsis|줄거리
Original Title: 화유기
Also Known As: A Korean Odyssey/Hwayugi 
Director: Park Hong-Kyun, Kim Jung-Hyun, Kim Byung-Soo
Distributor: tvN
Released: December 23, 2017
Genre: Fantasy/Drama/Romance/Supernatural
Language: Korean
Country: South Korea
My Rating: 10/10
Add To: Netflix | VIKI
In 2017, Son Oh Gong and Ma Wang are in conflict with each other as they look for a true light in a dark world where evil thrives. Having made a contract with Seon Mi 25 years ago, entitling her to seek help from Son Oh Gong whenever she calls him in exchange for letting him free, the two meet again in a fateful encounter. From there, Son Oh Gong is bound to his protective role towards Seon Mi, the little girl he had met years ago.
~~Adapted from the classic Chinese novel “Journey to the West,” but reinterprets the story into the present day and has a romantic-fantasy twist.
Review|리뷰
★★★★★★★★★★ Stars
I can't believe that I left this show sitting in my "to be watched list" for so long!

I was not expecting this show to be as good as it was and I really wasn't expecting it to snatch all of my attention. If life allowed it, I probably would have watched every single episode in one day. So you can imagine how I was when I had to cut it off. Lol. I love shows that can draw me in like this, it makes me wish they never had to end.

My emotions are still raw and all over the place so I admit my review probably won't be as long as they usually are because I'm sorting through feelings. ESPECIALLY THAT FREAKING ENDING!!!
Am I the only one upset with it? I mean, it's amazing but... not? I hate open endings with a passion. So I'm like "will there be a second season?" Then I remember this show was from years ago and realize if they haven't done it by now, they won't do it at all, which really sucks. I would be happy with even a mini extra episode that would explain where everyone is and if things worked out.

But all in all, I really did love this show... even the bad CGI. lol The show wouldn't be amazing without it. LOL
I loved all of acting. Even from those that annoyed the hell out of me, I know the show probably wouldn't have been as good without them.
Jan 1 Update:
Okay I think I have sorted through my feelings enough to write a proper review (maybe? lol)
Don't get me wrong, I'm still fangirling my head off over this show and honestly wish I could delete everything I remember about it just so I can watch it again.

When this show first started off, I admit I was kinda iffy about it. I had seen so much hype about it that it was actually kinda off-putting. Weird, I know. Why I don't just go with the flow? I don't know, I'm extra. LOL I'm kidding but I started this because pretty much I'm watching now - I have to wait for new episodes. So I thought "eh why not at least give it a try, nothing else better to do" ... It was a mistake Little did I know I would be sucked into Korean Odyssey hell where I would never emerge again until it was completely done. I don't think I can ever put into words how much I freaking loved this show. From episode one it skyrocketed to my top favorite list. Yet at the same time, I WAS FIGHTING IT! I don't know why I was so damn skeptical about it. But let's face it, once Lee Seung Gi (Oh-Gong) popped up, that's all the wrote, I was hooked and when Hong-Ki (P.K) showed up... well that was the nail in the coffin, there was no leaving. The man after my heart, okay! Not my fault! 

Okay okay enough fangirling -- on about the actual show, I still can't get over the CGI, don't get me wrong, some of it was amazing. *cough*
And then there were just some moments where you can't help but make a face like "O_o what the hell is that supposed to me?" Lol  and you know if you watch it the exact moment I'm talking about near the end. 

That is really one of my complaints to. I'm not even gonna sugar coat it, that major battle fight scene was SO TERRIBLE!! Like you go through all this show expected this epic come out and then you're just left with "What the actual fuck was that?" I can't help but wonder if they overspent on the budget and that was all they could put together because there was no more money to use. Lol 

While I dog the hell out of that fight scene, PLEASE DO NOT LET IT SWAY YOU AWAY FROM THIS SHOW!!! This show is so freaking amazing and deserves nothing but love! You know a lot of people say "the acting makes the show" and it's actually true about this. Every single actor that was in this did such a amazing job that in the end you really don't care. They could have did this in a play and I'm almost sure people would be amazed by it. Lol or maybe I'm just biased. Haha but I really hope more people give this show a chance. I know some that have seen it say it's like Goblin, but I don't really see it? I've really thought about it and while maybe the vibe is like it, it's really different. -- But that's just me. I loved both Korean Odyssey and Goblin so I can't hate either way. Lol. If you have watched this or plan to, I'd love to read your review about it!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top