Friday, December 21, 2018

{Review} Roam by C.H. Armstrong

Synopsis
Title: Roam
Author: C.H. Armstrong
Pages: 320
Published: February 5th 2019
Publisher: Avenue Publishing
Genre: YA/Contemporary/Homelessness & Poverty
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

Seventeen year-old Abby Lunde and her family are living on the streets. They had a normal life back in Omaha, but thanks to her mother’s awful mistake, they had to leave what little they had behind for a new start in Rochester. Abby tries to be an average teenager—fitting into school, buoyed by dreams of a boyfriend, college, and a career in music. But Minnesota winters are unforgiving, and so are many teenagers.
Her stepdad promises to put a roof over their heads, but times are tough for everyone and Abby is doing everything she can to keep her shameful secret from her new friends. The divide between rich and poor in high school is painfully obvious, and the stress of never knowing where they're sleeping or where they’ll find their next meal is taking its toll on the whole family.
As secrets are exposed and the hope for a home fades, Abby knows she must trust those around her to help. But will her friends let her down the same way they did back home, or will they rise to the challenge to help them find a normal life?


My Thoughts:
★★★★ Stars
I received this book in return for an honest review. 

Roam is like a Hallmark movie in book form.

That being said, we all know how Hallmark movies go and we all know how they end pretty much two seconds after the opening. But we still love the movies. Every year, we flock around the TV with endless snacks and tissues. Roam is pretty much that, but in book form. Lol

I didn't like it at first to be honest. I was mainly pissed because everything just seemed so flat and spotty. It was annoying. Even the characters kinda grated my nerves. But, there was something about it that... I just couldn't put it down. Didn't want to really. I wanted to know if I was right or wrong. 

It's amazing how this book really did portray each character. you could start off loathing one person only to love them in the end. You could love a character and.... still love them in the end. Lol But the good thing about it is that every single character grew. Not many books do that, they focus on one or two characters and the others just get tossed to the wind, but not Roam. Every single character grew. It was a very heartwarming read. 

While the story was a bit flat and rushed, the ending makes up for that IMO. Because the amount of understanding and character growth just blew me away. I cried. I won't lie. I cried a bit. Lol It made me really wish this book was real. In the way that they were able to get their happy ending. I wish more people got to have happy endings like this. But I know it's the real world and life isn't a Disney film. But I really do wish people were as understand as they were in this book. 

I'm glad I was given a chance to read this book. 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top