Monday, February 26, 2018

{Review} Spinner by Michael J. Bowler

Synopsis
Title: Spinner
Author: Michael J. Bowler
Pages: 410
Published: July 25th 2015
Publisher: YoungDudes Publishing
Genre: Young Adult/Horror/Paranormal/LGBQ
My Rating: 4/5
Add To: Goodreads

Fifteen-year-old Alex is a “spinner.” His friends are “dummies.” Two clandestine groups of humans want his power. And an ancient evil is stalking him. If people weren’t being murdered, Alex might laugh at how his life turned into a horror movie overnight.
In a wheelchair since birth, his freakish ability has gotten him kicked out of ten foster homes since the age of four. Now saddled with a sadistic housemother who uses his spinning to heal the kids she physically abuses, Alex and his misfit group of learning disabled classmates are the only ones who can solve the mystery of his birth before more people meet a gruesome end.
They need to find out who murdered their beloved teacher, and why the hot young substitute acts like she’s flirting with them. Then there’s the mysterious medallion that seems to have unleashed something malevolent, and an ancient prophecy suggesting Alex has the power to destroy humanity.
The boys break into homes, dig up graves, elude kidnappers, fight for their lives against feral cats, and ultimately confront an evil as old as humankind. Friendships are tested, secrets uncovered, love spoken, and destiny revealed.
The kid who’s always been a loner will finally learn the value of friends, family, and loyalty.
If he survives…


My Thoughts
★★★★ Stars

Spinner was a different kind of read. 
Fans of Stephen King and Ted Dekker would enjoy this book.

It took me a while to actually get into the book and I am not really sure why but once I stuck with it and pushed through, I didn't want to put it down. 

I want to say I loved all of the characters but.. sadly I only liked about three of them. I adored Alex and Roy but my all time favorite was the neighbor. She was so sweet to those boys. 
I loved the idea of this book. It was a mix of Stephen King and Ted Dekker but written better.... (IMO!) I have never read anything like this before. I feel like Michael took so many ideas and put them together and his talent made them work perfectly together. 

I did have a few problems mainly with "Spinning". I found it confusing to begin with and I think I just accepted it and rolled with it (no pun intended) it wasn't until the very end that I understood exactly what it was but I am still unsure why they call it "spinning". 

Once it got to the end, I admit, I started skimming because it was losing my attention. I am not sure if it was because I just NEEDED to know that happens at the end to calm down. Or if it had unnecessary information that I didn't care for. I was probably just over excited. Lol.
I am so thankful for that ending though. I thought it would leave with a TON of questions unanswered but again, Michael pulled out all of the stops and managed to answer all the answers I had. Lol

I am hoping for a book two. Certainly there is more story to tell. More *people* to get to know. Lol

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top