Monday, August 7, 2017

{Review} The Funeral Flower by Michelle Jester

Synopsis
Title: The Funeral Flower
Author: Michelle Jester
Genre: Young Adult/Contemporary
My Rating: 3/5
Add To: Goodreads


Devastated by the death of her grandfather, six-year-old Kelly Rodgers barely manages to cope with the profound loss. Already facing issues at school, she finds herself spiraling deeper into despair, when a fateful interaction through the fence in her backyard gives her hope. In the years following, Kelly realizes that life’s tragedies can be dealt with through acceptance; until another series of agonizing events leaves her heart in pieces.
Finding herself thrown into new surroundings, Kelly embraces her life and resolves to never fall in love. That decision is easy to keep until her junior year when she is drawn by an unavoidable attraction to the new guy, tormented James Delaney. The moment he looks up at her and smiles, her body betrays her. And he notices. She is determined to avoid him, but soon Kelly is forced to face the inevitable truth: She doesn’t want to avoid James... and he won’t let her.
Even though tragedy always follows love.
--
Due to critical subject matter recommended for Ages 17+


My Thoughts
★★★ Star
I received this book in return for an honest review.

This book has the ability to grab your attention and keep you reading... even if you aren't enjoying it all that much. the writing was amazing and I think it also keeps you wondering if justice will ever be served. It took all I had to not flip to the end of the book to find out. Lol

The cover and the story line just sucked me in. I couldn't wait to read it and I didn't want to put it down once I started. It's not often you come across a book that pisses you off so much but you actually WANT to keep reading. Lol

I wanted so much justice for the main character in this book. She was done so wrong but literally everyone. Her parents stayed checked out, she was betrayed by friends, the bad boy was exactly what his title is-bad. I think the only person who didn't screw her over was her childhood -fence- friend. Lol

I'm sad to say, the bad outweighed the good of this book for me. 
When she got older, she was finally on a great path getting her life together and she was gonna do so much with her life. I mean, you could just see it. But then in strolls a boy. But not just any boy. THE boy. The one who derails any train that comes in contact with him. The boy who is so possessive, it is borderline abusive. 

I HATED that she fell for him. I really did. 

SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!
I think the breaking point with me over the book was the abortion. I'm against abortion 100% - though I tried really really hard to not let my thoughts take over and affect my judgment on this book.....it did. So I am sorry. It's so jacked up that literally only 2 people would have helped. 2 people who told her to keep it. Even sadder that those two people weren't even her parents. But am I shocked? Heck no. That is about the most they have talked to her in this whole freaking book because they don't care. So many excuses were made as to why they are this way, but I call bullshit because - well... the start of the book for example. How low do you have to be to continue to allow your child to go to a school where she comes home DAILY with fresh bruises? yeah, I know - her mother tried to help. Once. Once that we are told about but nothing happened. Sorry but if you were ever a caring mother, you would be raising all kinds of hell. Not to mention after the death of her grandfather the main character goes into a deep depression. Do the parents try to talk to her? Nope. She needs "therapy" *dramatic eyeroll* Because they would rather pay someone thousands of dollars than sit and talk to her themselves. That is just me though. 

I wish this book had ended differently. I don't think I have ever read a book and wanted a different ending. Well, maybe except TFIOS, I wish everyone could have lived happily ever after but... you get what I mean. Lol I think this book sets a bit of a bad example. Get pregnant - abort it. have a choice between a good guy and borderline abusive boyfriend - go for the abusive one. 

There was a lot of talk about God in this book, which I didn't mind. It was when they wanted to blame Him for everything that ever went wrong. Which is about right I guess. Lol.

I did like the forgiveness concept though. That was a breath of fresh air. Close to the end, I did start to like the book. A lot. until "bad boy" made his way back on scene. So she let good guy go and went running back into the other guys arms. 

I expected more from this book though to be honest. I may reread this at a later time and see if my thought changes at all. Because who knows. Sometimes you read and miss things because you are so fixated on one part that you miss something else. Who knows. Till this.... this is where I stand.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top