Saturday, April 9, 2016

Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Synopsis

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.
The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.
The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.
Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.


My Thoughts
★★ Stars
I didn't find anything unique about this story. I felt as if I had read it all before. Even the whole Striking things out non-stop. Which is passed annoying, by the way.
I felt like this was The Selection and Divergent mixed in to one with a few other books shoved in. I want to say I enjoyed the writing of the book, but that would be a lie. A major plus would have been if the strikes were left out. The strikes were completely pointless and most of the things she said made absolutely no sense. "I'm dripping red paint on the floor." ....Ummmm, what? Among other lines. I just couldn't get into it. I was looking for reasons to actually put it down so I wouldn't have to finish it. The only time it really got better were the last three chapters. I'm sorry, I personally would not recommend this book. Nor would I read book two.

2 comments :

  1. This series didn't particularly interest me at the get-go either but it was enough action and romance to keep me reading the rest of it. I just wanted to know what was going to happen in the end. I hated the ending though.. OMG THE ENDING OF THIS SERIES WAS LIKE AN ATOMIC BOOK BOMB. IT BLEW ME UP.. In the wrong way ;( Hope you decide to finish the series though because it was pretty fun and I loved the writing even tho the characters annoyed the shit out of me.

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, I think if I get bored enough, I'll finish reading the series. Or at least the next book. But it'll be a while before I do. By the second book, does she at least stop crossing crap out?

      Delete

Back to Top