Saturday, April 30, 2016

Cutter Boy by Cristy Watson

Synopsis

Bullied at school and ignored at home, Travis has a secret: cutting himself with a razor blade is the only thing that lets him control the pain in his life and find some peace. When he becomes friends with Chyvonne, a new girl at school, he doesn't know how to get close to her without revealing his secret and making himself even more vulnerable. Spending time with Chyvonne spurs Travis to try to discover why his mother can't seem to face his very existence. It's only when he learns about the art form of paper cutting that he realizes there might be other ways to make himself feel adrenalin-fueled and in control.
Although self-harm through cutting is a problem usually associated with teenage girls, many young men are involved in different sorts of self-injury. This story explores a teenager's motivations for cutting and the options for overcoming the need to self-injure.


My Thoughts
★★★ Stars
I received this book via NG in return for an honest review.
***TRIGGERS!!! TRIGGERS!!! TRIGGERS!!!***
This book has cutting/self harm triggers.

What the ever loving crap. man!! What the what!!
*takes a deep breath to try to chill out*
Okay, no. Seriously. what the hell was that?
This book was so freaking awesome! And the fact it is 3am now, I can say once you start this book, you won't want to put it down. 
I love the flow of the story and it makes you really open your eyes that people go through this. GUYS GO THROUGH THIS! Not just girls. but it is so rare you hear about a guy cutting, so they just get lost. This book really shines a light on that.

Now what made me mad about this book.... For one, there wasn't really a "section off" for when a new scene popped up, so you kinda have to sit there rereading for a second to realize "oh! he's hone from school now!" or "oh! he's at school now!".... but mainly what really made me mad was there was no help for him in the end. As a reader, I didn't get closure. Sure, the mom gets help, but does he? I love he has a hobby he can focus on and take his pain out on, but I kinda wish he would have reached out more or something. SOMETHING to let me know he will be okay and that he plans to start his fight to stop.......which makes me question, does he? does he even WANT to?
I get the whole "you can't help those who don't want help." But I'm left questioning if he wants help? I know he doesn't want to feel invisible anymore and wants the bullying to stop.

Just. So. Many. QUESTIONS. And. No. ANSWERS! GRRR!!!!

Which makes this book feel so incomplete.

That ending made me want to throw my book across the room. The ending pissed me off and left me feeling like it was unfair. For him AND myself as a reader. 

I loved this book yet wanted so much more from it.
I guess you can say Cutter Boy is a bitter sweet story.

No comments :

Post a Comment

Back to Top