Saturday, August 29, 2015

More Than This by Jay McLean

Synopsis

When Mikayla imagined her prom night, she envisioned a fairy-tale evening full of romance. So when betrayal and tragedy come in quick succession, Mikayla is completely destroyed. Suddenly, everything she loved and everyone she relied on are tragically, irrevocably gone.
Jake, a handsome boy she just met, happens to witness her loss. With no one to turn to, Mikayla is forced to depend on this near stranger and his family, and he in turn is determined to take care of her. But Mikayla—thrust into adulthood with no one to guide her—is desperate to contain her grief and hide what she considers to be her weakness. Mikayla and Jake both want more, but despite their growing closeness and intense chemistry, she tries to keep her distance and protect her heart. As he does everything in his power to win her trust, Mikayla must choose between remaining alone and safe or letting love in.


My Thoughts
★★★ Stars
I received this book via NG in return for an honest review.
Ummmm well... This book was... well...
Okay, here goes nothing. This wasn't my cup of tea. Whoever labeled this "Young Adult" needs to rethink that. New Adult? Sure. Erotica? pretty much. Lol
This "story" seemed out 95% cussing and sexual scenes while you had to read between all of that for the other 5% for the actual story. Honestly, cut out all the cussing and sexual stuff, and the story really would have been really great! I loved the difference in the characters but... I have to admit, sometimes the jealousy was a bit over the top. But eh. What can you expect with 18 year olds, I guess. Haha. Anyway, I'm giving this three stars. There isn't really much to say about it. All the cussing and sexual stuff just really ruined the whole book for me and it was just page after page after page of it. I had to force myself to finish it. But to be honest this book did have me cracking up. Every time they took a chill pill for their hormones, I was laughing my hind end off. I wish there could have been more funny parts.

6 comments:

  1. Holy wow! Plot twist! I never would've thought this book would be new adult and erotica! The cover and synopsis look so innocent. Its always a pain when you're looking for a nice contemporary and get handed an erotica instead. Awesome review! :)

    -Megan, Books of Fascination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! I was disappointing with this book and it had such promise! I do use the word erotica loosely though because while it's no Fifty Shades Of Grey or anything (lol) it still has the sexual stuff... just without all the embarrassing words. XD hahaha
      -Ash

      Delete
  2. I didn't expect it to be more of an erotica. As Megan said, the cover and synopsis make it seem like an innocent Young Adult novel. That's disappointing because I would have totally read this. Boo.

    Sympathy - Clockwork Origin Productions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never hurts to give it a try. If you can't get into it, just put it under DNF. There are some books people hate, that I love. Some I hate, others love. So you never know unless you try it for yourself. But yeah... the sexual stuff every few pages did ruin the story for me.
      -Ash

      Delete
  3. Erotica-ish? I tend to stay away from those books mostly but the cover doesn't look anything outside of YA. Aww man the cover actually looks really pretty :D Awesome review :D

    Alex @ The Book's Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right! The cover and blurb totally drew me in. But once I started reading I was like "Did I pick up the wrong book?" Had I know that much sexual stuff was going on, I would have stayed away. And I am serious when I say whoever put it as YA, needs to reread the book. Though I think maybe one person as labeled it under "mature ya".... I've honestly never in my life heard of "mature ya" but to each his own, ya know. Lol. I would have just put it under New Adult or something.
      & Thank you, it's a short review but.. there really wasn't much for me to say about it.
      -Ash

      Delete